Benefits of Microban® Antimicrobial Fabrics & Screening
It is more important than ever to keep commercial and residential furnishings as clean as possible. Bacteria, mold and mildew are the sworn enemies of outdoor fabric, shades, and screens. These stain-and-odor causing bacteria thrive on heat and humidity and can be extremely destructive. They can also cause structural damage to the fibers and shorten the overall life of your fabric.
The solution is to reduce the growth of mold, mildew and other microbes before it even starts by choosing antimicrobial fabric and screening infused with Microban.
Microban is the leading brand of EPA-approved antimicrobial product protection solutions and has been a pioneer in the world of antimicrobial technology and odor control solutions for over 35 years. Antimicrobial fabric manufacturers infuse their products with Microban during the manufacturing process so that it will not wash or wear off throughout the lifetime of the textile. It has been formulated to be effective against most common molds, fungi, bacteria and yeasts that can cause stains, smells and fabric degradation.
It is 100% safe to clean Microban treated fabrics and screening with soap, water and even bleach. When textiles are treated with Microban, you can use up to a 50% diluted bleach solution without worry of ruining the fabric.
Microban technology works by slowing and inhibiting the growth of mildew and mold by attacking microbes as soon as they come in contact with the surface.
Microban is perfectly safe for humans and pets. Microban protection penetrates the walls of microorganism cells as soon as they reach a surface and disrupts their growth and ability to reproduce. Because it’s always fighting against the growth of microbes, this protection makes it easier to maintain your fabric and helps it stay cleaner for longer.
It’s important to remember that you should still regularly clean Microban fabric and screens and allow them to air dry with plenty of air circulation. The protection won’t wash away, even if washed with bleach, and regular maintenance will help Microban textiles perform better for a longer period of time.
Durability & Cost Efficiency of Antimicrobial Product Protection
Antimicrobial fabric, shades, and screening that have been treated with Microban have a huge advantage over untreated fabric of the same type. Not only is it easier to maintain, but enhanced durability means you won’t have to replace your products as often.
Phifer's Shading Products With Microban®
- SunTex® 80/90 - Blocks 80-90% of the sun's heat and glare. These heavy-duty antimicrobial fabrics are most often used in fixed frame exterior screens.
- SunTex® 95/97 - Developed for use in exterior shading systems where mold and mildew resistant fabrics are critical components. With the ability to block over 95% of the sun’s harmful UV rays, SunTex 95/97 fabrics infused with Microban antimicrobial protection are the perfect solution for residential or commercial shading applications.
Phifer's Screening Products With Microban®
PetScreen® and TuffScreen® Heavy Duty Screening
- Phifer PetScreen® - With built-in Microban antimicrobial product protection, this screening was designed with pet safety in mind. This pet resistant antimicrobial screening is excellent for use in screened porches or windows and doors and is not harmful to pets.
Phifer's Outdoor Fabric Products With Microban®
Phifer offers woven sling textiles treated with Microban so you can buy with confidence, knowing that your outdoor furniture will be protected from the ravages of mildew and mold.
Phifertex® Sling Mesh
Phifertex® is ideal for DIY applications requiring structural stability and strength such as sling chair covers or pet beds. This hard wearing mesh fabric is easy to work with; it can be sewn with a standard home sewing machine. It doesn’t fray when cut, so it even lends itself to no-sew projects like outdoor placemats and table runners. Phifertex® comes in a variety of options based on use:
- Phifertex® Jacquard - If you’re in the market for intricate design work, these sophisticated designs can be created in thousands of pattern and color combinations.
- Phifertex® Plus - Planning an especially demanding DIY project? Phifertex Plus can withstand heavy use, in applications where extra strength and toughness are required.
- Phifertex® PVC/Olefin Blends - For projects where a little extra softness is desired, Phifertex PVC/Olefin Blend fabrics are the perfect solution.
- Phifertex® Wicker Weaves - Create outdoor furniture with all the beauty of the natural world with the geometric look and extra texture of our Phifertex Wicker Weave fabrics.
Need more information about Phifer’s Microban-infused products? Get in touch with us! We can answer all your questions and offer pertinent advice on choosing the right fabric or screening for your project.